Lucy Zodion has a rich history spanning over six decades. From small beginnings, Lucy Zodion (as we now know it) introduced its first photocell some 50 years ago, which was the smart lighting innovation of its time. The company is now part of a multi-million pound, international organisation that specialises in developing leading electrical distribution and street lighting solutions (including photocells) to meet the specification of commercial, industrial and utility applications.

This year, 2017, is a very special milestone for Lucy Zodion. It not only celebrates its 60th anniversary, but launches its newly expanded Sowerby Bridge site which reinforces its dedication to progress and growth. To mark the occasion, the company looks back on how far it has come in an exclusive blog series detailing its history and future vision.

The series kicks off with part one – The early days

It was in 1957 the business was first launched. Developing products very different to those we recognise Lucy Zodion for today, it specialised in the manufacture of wash process controls. The company was founded by Ian Fisher and named Process Units Ltd, based in Halifax and has kept its Yorkshire roots until this day, with few site changes.

Founder, Ian Fisher, set up the company as a result of his deep interest in the invention of automatic controls and his existing laundry businesses. His revolutionary products enabled the industry to control all stages of the wash process electronically for the first time. The products in which Fisher specialised could be integrated with traditional laundry equipment, enabling control of time cycles and the measurement of detergent, soda and bleach.

Process units - brochure image.JPG

A copy of one of Process Units' brochures

As demand increased Process Units’ products, known as Fisher Controls,  were installed in modern laundry and dry cleaners both in the UK and internationally. In 1959, Ian Fisher was tragically killed in a car accident and the business continued under his wife, Margaret’s, supervision.

The following year (1960) saw Process Units Ltd acquired by Chadburn Controls, a ships Telegraph company. This acquisition meant that the business had even more products and its customer base was diversified. Marine equipment, including speed indicators, steering gears and counters, were the main products manufactured at Chadburn Controls and as demand grew, so did the need for larger premises.    

Luddenden Foot site JPEG.PNG

The Luddenden Foot Site                     

In 1964 the company moved to a larger site based in Luddendenfoot, a small village on the outskirts of Halifax. Continuing to progress in the manufacturing industry, the company had large factory space which meant it could house a number of different production lines at once. This led to the company building a large product portfolio, covering a wide variety of markets.

The 1960’s saw the company embark on a product that would change its focus, forever. Find out how its future was shaped in the next part of our 60th anniversary blog series, ‘Seeing the light’, next week